Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Dark Side of the Evangelical Force

Haggard has more or less confessed, although he continues to be vague about what exactly he has to apologize for.

In a letter that was read to the congregation of the New Life Church by another clergyman, Haggard apologized for his acts and requested forgiveness.

"I am so sorry for the circumstances that have caused shame and embarrassment for all of you," he said, adding that he had confused the situation by giving inconsistent remarks to reporters denying the scandal.

"The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

Right, a dark side. Repulsive, even. Would that be the gay side? Or the john side? Or perhaps the meth side? Or maybe the point is that using meth, paying for sex, and having sex with people of the same sex are morally equivalent.

Has he learned anything from this experience? It would appear not.

No comments: